Supported Independent Living (SIL) is a valuable service that provides individuals with the assistance and supervision thy need to live as independently as possible. With SIL, individuals can enjoy the freedom of living on their own or with housemates while receiving the support necessary to meet their daily needs. In this blog post, we will explore the ins and outs of SIL, including its benefits, the support it provides, and how to access SIL funding in your NDIS plan.
What Is Supported Independent Living?
Supported Independent Living, as defined by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), is a type of support that aims to help individuals with daily tasks, enabling them to live as independently as possible. SIL covers a wide range of supports including personal care tasks, capacity building activities, and support for medical appointments. However, it’s important to note that SIL does not include services such as community participation, transport, internet connectivity, or food and consumables. These additional services can be negotiated separately with the NDIA or service providers for funding.
The Benefits of Supported Independent Living
SIL offers numerous benefits to individuals who require some extra support to meet their daily needs. Here are some key advantages of SIL:
- Independence: SIL empowers individuals to live independently while receiving the necessary support. It allows individuals to have control over their daily schedule and activities, promoting a sense of freedom and autonomy.
- Choice and Control: With SIL, individuals have more choice and control over their living arrangements and the supports they receive. This enables them to tailor their services to their specific needs and preferences.
- Cost Sharing: Sharing accommodation with other SIL participants can help reduce costs such as rent and electricity bills. This can make living independently more affordable and sustainable.
- Community of Support: Living in shared accommodation with other SIL participants provides a supportive community of individuals who understand and empathise with each other’s challenges. This can foster a sense of belonging and social connection.
- Skill Development: SIL supports individuals in developing essential life skills, such as budgeting, cooking, cleaning and personal care. This enables individuals to enhance their independence and self-sufficiency.
The Role of Supported Independent Living In Your Life
Supported Independent Living plays a vital role in helping individuals achieve their goals and live life on their own terms. Whether you are considering accommodation for yourself or a loved one, SIL can provide the necessary support to enhance independence and overall well-being.
At Shine Social and Communities, we offer SIL supports that are tailored to your specific needs. Our highly trained support staff are available to provide assistance and supervision, ensuring that you have the support you need when you need it.
Finding the Right Supported Independent Living Home
Finding the right SIL home is a crucial step towards achieving your independent living goals. When looking for accommodation, several factors need to be considered to ensure a suitable and supportive living environment. Here are some key steps to finding the right SIL home:
- Ratio of Support Workers to Housemates: The support worker to housemate ratio should align with the level of support outlined in your assessment. This ratio may vary from 1:1 to 1:7, depending on individual needs. It is important to find a household where everyone’s support requirements match.
- Matching Requirements: The house you choose should meet the accessibility requirements outlined in your assessment. It should be equipped with features such as wheelchair-friendly bathrooms, assistive technology provisions, and accessible kitchen facilities.
- Compatibility: Like any shared living situation, compatibility with housemates is crucial. It is important to find individuals with whom you share common interests and values to ensure a harmonious living environment.
Start Your Journey Towards Independence with SIL
Supported Independent Living offers individuals the opportunity to live independently while receiving the necessary support to thrive. Whether you are looking to move out of home or seeking increased independence with support, SIL can help you achieve your goals. At Shine Social and Communities, our dedicated team is here to provide you with the information and support you need to make informed decisions about supported independent living. Contact us today to learn more about our SIL services on the Sunshine Coast and in Dubbo and how we can assist you on your journey towards independence.